We had a great week 4! Now that everyone has finished the book we were able to discuss aspects of “To Kill a Mockingbird”as a whole.
First we played a a hilarious game of Mad Gab.
We watched this parody video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mreGrh_tVDQ Studio C is a sketch comedy show, and this one was perfect to watch with “To Kill a Mockingbird”. As a dog person, I found it especially funny.
Our creative writing time this week was spent on writing articles for “The Maycomb Tribune”. Everyone was very creative with their articles, and I can’t wait to share the newspaper next week.
Below is a list of questions that we discussed:
1) What do you think of Mayella Ewell? Is she a victim or instigator?
2) What do you think of Mr. Raymond? What do you think of his philosophy on whiskey? (pg 228)
3) Why do you think Atticus says cheating on a colored man is 10 times worse than cheating on a white man (pg 229)
4) Why do you think “To Kill a Mockingbird” is a classic? Or is it? Do you think it is still relevant today?
5) “Your father’s a passing” Why did they stand? What did it mean?
6) Why does Maycomb send all the food to the finches? (Pig Knuckles? Really!)
7) Miss Maudie tells Jem Maycomb did rally around Atticus. Do you agree? Could they have done more?
8) What do you think of the part about why women weren’t allowed on the jury? (pg 252).
9) Jem and Scout have a discussion about the different kinds of people in the world. Do you think there are just “folk”, like Scout, or do you think that there are different types of people like Jem? Does education matter that much? (pg 259)
10) Jem believes that Boo Radley wants to stay inside (pg 259). Why is that
11) Tom Robinson was running away when he was shot and killed. Why do you think he ran? Should he have stayed? What would you have done?
12) The Maycomb women believe that being a lady is very important. How do you deal with a situation differently than the men? Why do you think being a lady is so important to them?
13) What do you think of Boo Radley now that we’ve met him? Why did he shut himself up again?
14) Did the ending satisfy you? Did it surprise you?
15) Atticus tries to get Mayella Ewell to admit that she is lying. What do you think would have happened if she had? Would Tom have still been found guilty?
16) Is this book still relevant?
17) What is the one thing you will take away from this book? Did you learn anything? How will you remember it?